So Tuesday morning I woke up and got ready for work. About 10 minutes before departure time I discovered that my roommate Alison was sick and so would not be driving to work, meaning I needed to take the car and drive. Never done that before in Tanzania. Never driven on the right side of the car and the left side of the road. Never driven in a place where motorcycles outnumber cars 20 to 1 with even more bicycles and pedestrians.
So I started my journey, picking up two Tanzanian colleagues on the way, both choosing to sit in the back seat. I don’t think I drew breath the entire 20 minute drive to the office. I did fine, other than almost hitting a motorcycle, but not too bad I thought. When I got out of the car I was trembling and could barely walk, such was the nervous energy. I almost burst into tears. So this had been the planned day to go to the police station in an attempt to get my driver’s license. But I was not in the mood. The plan was to go with the Tanzanian office help. I sincerely hoped he would just forget.
He didn’t. Right after morning prayers he said “Are you ready?” I nodded in pretense and tried to rev myself up for what lay ahead. So, after pleading for money for some office mates (I had accidentally left all mine at home which would be needed to get the license), we head out into the great unknown. We drove to the office, then waited for about 30 minutes for the license guy to come. I have begged for prayers from about 5 people at this point, and am starting to feel a bit better. So he comes, and asks me if I know all the Tanzanian road signs. Now I have only ever seen about 2 road signs in this country, but I figured confidence would go a long way, so I nodded courageously with a smile and affirmed that I did. After he questioned me on a few, which I successfully explained, he asked if I could drive a manual. Again, I figured confidence would take me a long way. Now I do indeed know how to drive manual, it’s just that I have never done so with my left hand. But I firmly explained that I have driven stick since I have known how to drive.
He wanted proof. So we go back to the office and plead a car off another colleague so I can take the driver’s test. What I end up with is MASSIVE, probably the largest thing I’ve ever driven. So we go back to the station, the officer hops in the car, and we cruise the town. I continually turn on the windshield wipers instead of the blinker. It is hot and I am absolutely sweating bullets. My blouse is wet down to the elbows with sweat. We go to the bus station, and he hops out to do who knows what, then returns and we head back to the station. Go back into his office, and he tells me I have succeeded. But in order to get my license, I must first go to the tax place and get my learner’s license. Learner’s license. Please take a moment and appreciate that.
So, back in the car and to the tax place to get the learner’s license, then back to the office to make photocopies of all pertinent documents. An hour later, back in the car (the small one now) and back to the station. Documents signed and stapled, oh, and with a personal request from the officer for one of my passport pics (denied), and then back to the tax office. Line, forms, and then I have the license…almost. It has not yet been stamped and signed.
My part is done though. Wednesday the office help went back to the station and got the stamp and signature, so now I am ever so official, though still a bit intimidated driving here.
So that’s my story, and I am so thankful. Thankful that God gave me the strength to go, thankful that I didn’t burst into tears at any point (which was a serious possibility), thankful I had a friend to go with me, thankful that I was actually able to drive stick with my left hand, thankful that I now have a driver’s license.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
What a process!! I especially appreciated the part about the learner's license. It's funny to see what happens when western institutions are imposed in not-so-western places.... :D
ReplyDeleteLOL. Awesome, Ellen. I love your stories :) You already knew that knowing how to drive a manual would come in handy abroad. I should have had you teach me how in college.
ReplyDelete